No Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft for India-Australia series as bans to stay

The banned trio of Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will not be taking part in the upcoming India-Australia series. On Monday, the Cricket Australia refused to buckle under pressure from several quarters and decided not to lift the ban that the players are facing for their role in the Newlands ball-tampering scandal.The decision means that Smith and Warner will stay banned from domestic and international cricket till March next year
while Bancroft will be available only from January 1, 2019, after. The demand for lifting of the had gained noise after an independent cultural review had put part of the blame on the workings of Cricket Australia itself.Simon Longstaff's report had said that CA had consistently failed to live up to its values and principles. According to the report, there was a culture of disrespect and bullying in the organization.According to Earl Eddings, the interim chairman of CA, “We believe the ongoing conversation about reducing the sanctions puts undue pressure on the three players - all of whom accepted the sanctions earlier this year - and the Australian men's cricket team. As such, the Cricket Australia Board doesn't intend to consider further calls for amendments to the sanctions.

Smith, Warner and Bancroft will have to serve their full ban periods

"The Cricket Australia Board has carefully considered all elements of the ACA submission and has determined that it is not appropriate to make any changes to the sanctions handed down to the three players. Despite the absence of any recommendation regarding the sanctions in the recently released Ethics Centre Review, the Board has deliberated on the ACA's submission at length. We have reconsidered the sanctions as they apply to each of Steve, David and Cameron in light of the ACA's submission and the Ethics Centre Review and Recommendations,” Interim Chair Earl Eddings said in a statement.
"The original decision of the Board to sanction the players was determined after a rigorous discussion and consideration. CA maintains that both the length and nature of the sanctions remain an appropriate response in light of the considerable impact on the reputation of Australian cricket, here and abroad,” he added.The trio was banned in the month of March earlier this year for the ball-tampering saga that unearthed during the third Test of the series against South Africa in Newlands. Bancroft was carrying the sandpaper on the field on the instruction of Warner while Smith, Australia's skipper, had the knowledge about the same.

Could Steve Smith and David Warner miss complete IPL 12?

Indian Premier League franchises Rajasthan Royals and Sunrisers Hyderabad might suffer a big blow as Steven Smith and David Warner, who were retained by their respective franchises, could miss the full IPL season and even if they play the tournament, they might not be available for more than two weeks. As per a report in ESPNcricinfo, the ODI series between Australia and Pakistan could be shifted to the month of April from March. This will allow Australia to test Smith and Warner before they announce their squad for World Cup 2019.
Should the series be shifted to April, it might see them missing the April leg of IPL as well. Since their bans are scheduled to end in the last week of March, they will not be able to play the March leg of the tournament and if selected in the ODI squad, it will automatically rule them for the majority of matches in April as well.Cricket Australia had already confirmed that the players would need a No Objection Certificate (NOC) to participate in the league and they would not be allowed to miss the Sheffield Shield and Pakistan series. Also, players will have to make an early return to the country for the pre-World Cup camp.

Steve Smith, David Warner Bans: Cricket Australia Rejects Reducing Punishment

Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will be serving full length of full bans after Cricket Australia on Tuesday refused to reduce their punishment following a review submission by the players' union. Smith and Warner, former captain and vice-captain of the Australian cricket team, were banned for 12 months while Cameron Bancroft was suspended for nine months following the role they played in the infamous ball-tampering scandal in South Africa that rocked the foundations of the game. CA interim chairman Earl Eddings said the board had "determined that it is not appropriate to make any changes to
the sanctions handed down to the three players".There has been pressure on the governing body to reinstate the players amid a recent poor run of results.The scandal, which rocked the sport, had far-reaching consequences in Australia with a clean-out of top executives from CA after a scathing review blamed its culture as partly contributing to players bending the rules.The Australian Cricketers' Association argued that the blame attributed to CA by the independent review was grounds to have the bans lifted.Eddings, who became chairman this month after David Peever was forced out, said the board decision was unanimous."CA maintains that both the length and nature of the sanctions remain an appropriate response in light of the considerable impact on the reputation of Australian cricket, here and abroad," he said.

Justin Langer is confident better things are around the corner for Australia

He is yet to taste a series victory since taking over as Australia’s full-time coach but Justin Langer is confident better things are to come for his embattled side.Australia sunk to its fifth straight bilateral one-day international series defeat on Sunday, going down 2-1 to South Africa. Two of those series defeats have come under Langer, who is yet to lead the team to a series (minimum two games) win across his first five campaigns in charge across all formats.In that time Australia also suffered a loss in a one-off Twenty20 against England, and defeated the United Arab Emirates in an encounter in the same format. Boiled down it’s
five wins across 20 matches, with one draw and 14 losses.Given the state of affairs when he took over and the tumultuous months that have followed for the men’s game since, it would be cruel to judge Langer by the side’s formline this early in his tenure. The coach is confident better things are to come, citing the courage shown in last month’s backs-to-the-wall draw in the first Test against Pakistan, victory over South Africa at Adelaide in the second ODI and a spirited display in Sunday’s decider.“It was disappointing to lose,” Langer told reporters in Perth on Monday. “There’s definitely signs of improvement though. The way we played the first Test match (against Pakistan), fought through that. The way we played that second one-day international, the way we fought for a lot of this series, there’s positive signs and now it’s to the T20 mode (on Saturday).”

Liam Bowe picks up fourth BBL wicket of season for Stars

Melbourne Stars BBL T20 squad: Current squad: Michael Beer, Scott Boland, Liam Bowe, Jackson Coleman, Travis Dean, Ben Dunk, Seb Gotch, Evan Gulbis, Peter Handscomb, Sandeep Lamichhane (NEP), Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Jonathan Merlo, Marcus Stoinis, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa, Matt Parkinson (ENG, international replacement)
In: Travis Dean (Renegades replacement), Sandeep Lamichhane (Nepal), Nic Maddinson (Sixers), Jonathan Merlo.
Out: James Faulkner (Hurricanes), John Hastings (Sixers), Kevin Pietersen (retired), Rob Quiney (retired), Luke Wright.
Roster spots to fill: two
Internationals signed: one, one replacement

Glenn Maxwell should not be batting No.7, says Aussie great Mark Waugh

Australia is doing Glenn Maxwell a counter-productive disservice by batting him at No.7, Australian great Mark Waugh says. The enigmatic Maxwell batted No.7 in the series-deciding one-dayer against South Africa, with fellow all-rounder Marcus Stoinis leapfrogging him to bat No.5. In all three matches of the series, Maxwell - No.6 in the first two matches -
batted behind wicketkeeper Alex Carey.Waugh said Maxwell was the kind of player who needed a vote of confidence, rather than such insults to his place in the pecking order."Maxwell, I don't know what his best position is, but I'm pretty sure it's not No.7," Waugh told Sky Sports Radio."I don't really like him at seven, I think he's the sort of player you've got to make feel wanted. To me, it just looks like when you're batting him at seven, he thinks, 'I'm better than that, I shouldn't be batting seven'."I'm not sure about his position. He was obviously disappointing throughout the series as well."

Spinner Kuhnemann finalises Heat BBL squad

Brisbane Heat BBL T20 squad: Max Bryant, Joe Burns, Ben Cutting, Brendan Doggett, Sam Heazlett, Matt Kuhnemann, Marnus Labuschagne, Josh Lalor, Chris Lynn, Brendon McCullum (NZ), James Pattinson, James Peirson, Jack Prestwidge, Matt Renshaw, Alex Ross, Mujeeb Ur Rahman (AFG), Mark Steketee, Mitch Swepson.
In: Matt Kuhnemann, James Pattinson (Renegades), Jack Prestwidge, Mujeeb Ur Rahman (Afghanistan).
Out: Shadab Khan (Pakistan).
Roster spots to fill: none
Internationals signed: two

Peter Handscomb should get Test recall, says former paceman Ryan Harris

Unorthodox Victorian batsman Peter Handscomb should earn a Test recall this summer, says former Australian paceman Ryan Harris.Handscomb found form in his last Sheffield Shield match, making 123 against South Australia, and had a strong JLT Cup.He missed out on a recall for Australia's Tests against Pakistan in the UAE, having been dropped from the Australian side during last summer's Ashes. After a brilliant maiden summer in which he
made two centuries and two half-centuries, plus three not-outs, the right-hander has been unable to cement a spot despite a Test average of 43.63.He played one Test on the tour of South Africa earlier this year and Harris reckons it's time to give the 27-year-old another opportunity. “He [Handscomb] would be one I would like to see in there,” Harris told SEN radio.“He’s done a lot of work on his technique, he’s done a lot of work on his game and he’s gone away and made quite a few runs.“He made a hundred in Shield cricket and four or five fifties in a row in JLT, so he’s probably one who could potentially come in.”

Cricket Australia director Mark Taylor has resigned from the governing body’s board after 14 years

CRICKET Australia director Mark Taylor has resigned from the governing body’s board 14 years after taking up the role.Taylor’s resignation came just days after chairman David Peever quit in light of scathing criticism from the Longstaff Review findings.Taylor told reporters on Monday that serving on the board had taken its toll, not just from the review’s fallout, but after tense and protracted MOU negotiations last year.“It’s taken its toll. In the last two weeks, moreso,” he said.“I don’t think I can give anymore. I’ve lost the
energy.“Serving the game as an administrator has given me the chance to pay back to this game.“My next step, I thought as a CA director, was to step up or step off the board. I had the opportunity at this time to put my name forward as chairman, or to sep off. That’s where I got to and I think I made the right move in the interest of Australian cricket to hopefully give another person an opportuntiy to give fresh ideas to this role.”Taylor is the board’s longest serving member, having joined in 2004. The 54-year-old was called for by former ICC chief Malcolm Speed to take over from Peever as CA chair.Taylor, however, made it clear he wasn’t after the top job, saying it would be “inappropriate” given his media commitments with Channel 9.

Mark Taylor resigns from Cricket Australia board

The longest serving current member of the CA board after a total of 13 years, Taylor said the time had come for him to decide whether to "step up or step off" in the wake of the hard-hitting Longstaff Review into the culture of the game and the organisation."I had an opportunity at this time to put my name forward as a chairman, or to step off," he
said."That's where I got to, and I think I've made the right move in the interests of Australian cricket to step off and give hopefully a former player an opportunity to add some fresh ideas to this role as a director of Cricket Australia."Particularly since the release of the reviews and the fallout from that, my wife will tell you my sleep hasn't been as good as it normally is."That to me was a sign that I needed to move on and, as I said, give someone else a go."

Shaun Marsh could be the answer to an Australian resurgence in the ODI series against South Africa

EMBATTLED batsman Shaun Marsh could be the key to an Australian resurgence in the ODI series against South Africa.Marsh was ruled out of the first match at the last minute after it was revealed he would require minor surgery to remove an abscess in his “buttock region”.At first glance, the 35-year-old may not have seemed like a huge loss given his Test
troubles this year. He averages 13.41 in Test cricket since the end of the Ashes, and made 14 runs in four innings against Pakistan in the UAE.But Marsh was Australia’s best batsman in its last ODI assignment, and has shown promising signs that his struggles are once again behind him. Combined with his more than 100 games of international experience, Marsh could prove invaluable for a top six craving senior figures.

Symonds describes tense history with Harbhajan

Symonds said the SCG incident was not the first altercation he had had with Harbhajan, and that he had tried to rule a line under the aggravating behaviour before India's return tour of Australia."I'd spoken to Harbhajan the series before in India, he'd called me a monkey before in India," Symonds told Howard."I went into their dressing room and said, 'Can I speak to Harbhajan for a minute outside please?' So he came outside and I said, 'Look, the name-calling's got to stop or else it's going to get out of hand'."[I said] 'We've got a few names for you blokes and you've obviously got a few
names for us and that's all good but it's going to end in tears so let's knock it on the head'."So we shook hands and he said, 'No problem boss, all good'."The incident in Sydney proved the breaking point, but the pair did eventually play together in the Indian Premier League (IPL) for the Mumbai Indians."When I got to Mumbai it was icy, when I walked in there the first time," Symonds said."We'd had a few drinks and Harbhajan came over to me. He said, 'Boss can I talk to you for a minute?'"He said, 'I really want to apologise for what I did and what I said, I hope it hasn't harmed you or your family too badly', and he broke down."I could just see the weight lift off his shoulders when he got that off his chest."

Alcohol issues ended Symonds' international career

Symonds said the way in which Harbhajan was punished was "nearly irrelevant to me", but instead he as focused on his teammates."I was thinking about what I was going through and what I'd put the other boys through," he said."That [the punishment] was neither here nor there with me, it was the weight and responsibility of what we'd all been dragged
into."Symonds was put on notice by Cricket Australia for his alcohol consumption the following year, as he spent time out of the team for various disciplinary reasons.He was banned from drinking ahead of the World T20 in 2009 in England, but a few drinks while out watching a State of Origin match on TV led to him being sent home from the tournament.His central Cricket Australia contract was subsequently torn up and he never played for Australia again.

Twitter wants MS Dhoni to retire as soon as possible

MS Dhoni has been going through a poor phase at the moment. The wicketkeeper-batsman has had a dry run for a long time. Renowned for finishing games at the lower order on a consistent basis, the 37-year-old has failed to the honour these duties for a long time now. That has cast a lot of aspersions on his abilities.
The selectors took a brave decision by leaving Dhoni out of the T20 international squad against the Windies and Australia. Dinesh Karthik who was stupendous in the Nidahas Trophy final was included alongside young sensation Rishabh Pant. MSK Prasad mentioned that the team was looking forward to trying the second choice wicketkeeper.